I ate my wafer...

11/01/2005

Sometimes, I've heard conservatives complain that they are unfairly labeled as heartless jerks. For those conservatives that wonder why the heartless jerk label:

Ryan Thompson posts about food stamps:

"The food stamp program angers me a lot because those people end up buying better food than the average American. They have prime rib several times a week while the average American might only have it once or twice a month if they are lucky. Furthermore, people often use these programs to buy junk instead of feeding their children properly. They are just creating another generation of slobs who will drag down our healthcare system too."

My views on the topic are in the comments, but for those too lazy to follow links:

A. I don't care if you want to oppose food stamps for philosphical reasons.

B. Making up BS about prime rib ignores those pesky statistics that show that the average food stamp family is scraping by on $640/month while feeding 2.3 people.

4 Comments:

  • Furthermore if a grocery store is accepting food stamps as payment for junk food the STORE is defrauding the program not simply the food stamp recipient.
    I would go so far as to say in cases where food stamps are paying for junk food the store may even be defrauding the program entirely without the knowledge or concent of the food stamp recipient.

    By Blogger TheAmber, at 3:16 PM  

  • Except there are many who use foodstamps for food (per intention) then waste their actual cash on beer and ciggarettes. They should reform the system so that people receiving foodstamps cannot purchase alcohol or ciggarettes and use their money to feed their children.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:36 PM  

  • I would agree that there is a potential for abuse. However, in the average food stamp family...lets face it, $640/month-rent & neccesities leaves little for beer and cigarettes.

    By Blogger Bob, at 9:12 PM  

  • Anon. Oh, I KNOW that I have seen that often enough. I am not suggesting that the Food Stamp program is well constructed, or even that I think it should exist at all. All I was saying is that gop ryan's argument against it was poorly constructed.

    By Blogger TheAmber, at 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home