I ate my wafer...

9/02/2005

Katrina

Some brief thoughts on the Hurricane:

*Revised to fix some errors and add a link..enjoy*

A. Stop being so damn surprised. This goes for both the general public and the media, but especially the media. My parents receive U.S. News and World Reports, and often, but not always have National Geographic around as well. This is relevant because the very last time that I was in Montpelier, I flipped through several weeks worth of U.S. News, including the July 18th issue. Reading that article reminded me, fleetingly at the time, of an article in National Geographic with a cool photo of a man wading in deep water with a B&W picture of Hurricane devastation. Also, last month's Discover Magazine ran an article about the cyclic nature of Hurricane seasons that clearly indicated that this fall would be a busy one metrologically.

B. I'd be pretty cautious about claiming that Hurricanes are more common or prevalent now than in the past. The historical stats on Hurricane occurrence are particularly good since there are few unrecorded Hurricanes (that touch land) compared to the relatively high percentage of, say unrecorded tornados 100 years ago.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Bob!!! I have been trying to contact you for a while now. I want to talk to you about you know, our old boss and tell you about how I finally went off on him and embarassed the S*** our of him. Write me an e-mail. zabrinaprzybilla@hotmail.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home