I ate my wafer...

2/12/2005

Tech Advice Wanted

Cell Phone

After a year of stubborn indifference, I think I'm ready to start shopping for a cell phone again, and I want to advice, rants, complaints, whatever about people's cell plans. For background, I was a relatively happy AllTell/CenturyTel customer for 4 years, through four phones, until my contract expired a year ago and they INCREASED my rates radically after the contract expired, despite that new customer contracts had much LOWER rates by that point. So, after canceling that phone, I've noticed that there appears to be no consensus whatsoever as to what provider to go with. I have friends that have PCS phones and reccomend Verizon, friends that have Verizon and recommend Cingular, and so forth. So, what's the best cell company? Please comment!


Ipod Case

Using my sharply honed contract reading ability, I recently acquired a 40gb ipod through an internet pop-up marketing company. (Note, I'm not naming/linking them, just because I received mine for only a ~$50 + 30 hours of time investment does NOT mean that anyone else will, they seem rather fly-by-night.) I want any and all recommendations as to cases, car adaptors, and even p2p file sharing software (40gb leaves quite a bit of space to experiment in ones musical tastes). Even in the few short weeks I've had is, my pocket contents (Leatherman, Zippo, Flashlight, keys, change, picks, etc have started scratching the heck out of the white part of my ipod's case.

4340 v. 1018/1020 v. 304 SS stamping

I need a bit of technical information about the the difference in die life and stamping ease between 1020, annealed 4340, and the 300 series stainless steels. I've obviously looked up the book information, and have a bit of practical knowledge, but would be interested in a refresher of practical knowledge. I'm looking at straight, simple 90 degree bends in ~0.050" material.

5 Comments:

  • Cell Phones: The reasons reviews are mixed is because service is spotty with every company, just depends on the region. I've been really happy with Verizon lately since they upped their coverage of Hillsdale, but I was really impressed with my friend's ATT wireless phone, he had purchased a cellphone antenna booster as well, which made quite a difference.

    iPod Cases: My case is for a third generation one. Check out iPod Lounge for detailed reviews of just about every case on the market.

    By Blogger Daniel, at 3:36 AM  

  • I understand the reviews of coverage would vary, but in the same town, I would expect to see a pattern. Or at least a consensus on who has the best customer service.

    I like ipodlounge, I discovered anapod explorer there. I should have mentioned that I'm debating one of those...err...armband things for running, so anyone who runs with their ipod, let me know about it.

    By Blogger Bob, at 1:36 PM  

  • http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/14/news/economy/blogging/index.htm?cnn=yes

    thought that the story might hit a little close to home.

    By Blogger Dave F., at 9:59 PM  

  • This is off topic, but thank you thank you thank you for the tip on outlining during class. It has saved me I don't know how much time already.

    People keep saying it's putting in more time than the next guy, but I'm not sure I agree. It's about being able to pick out what's important and past that being more clever. Except legal writing. I hate legal writing.

    Anyways, it's the best tip I've gotten so far. I am so not passing it on around here, though.

    By Blogger HalfwayHouse, at 3:50 PM  

  • As far as the Cell phones go, I can't tell you which one will work best, but Verizon and Sprint work on the same towers, so if you are thinking about either of those two, then their coverage area is pretty standard. The difference is that Sprint has more features that if offers on its phones (so that you can access the internet from a sprint phone as long as yuo have a signal whereas with Verizon you need to be in a big city).

    Cingular/ATT is an entirely different kettle of fish becuase they used to use TDMA towers (which are older than the CDMA ones that Verizon and Sprint use and thus couldn't handle as much call volume) but are now switching to GMS (the towers used in Europe which can do unbelievable things with data).

    However, the problem is that there aren't enough GMS towers to go around so they are stumbling a little while they get their network up.

    The biggest thing though is to A) look at the coverage area and see where you are going to be and B) think about what your friends have esp. those you call the most, because both Verizon and Cingular/ATT have free calling to those on their network.

    Also, the the nextel merger, it is now part of Sprint.

    As for the Ipod, I have the armband case and it works ok, but my Ipod seized up a couple of times while I was running (which is why I went with the shuffle).

    As long as you play from playlists though you should be able to correct that...

    Later.

    Konrad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home