I ate my wafer...

2/22/2005

I utterly and completely hate that two line "Hobbies" or "Interests" space on applications and resumes, be it for jobs, internships, clerkships, schools, etc. What the hell am I supposed to put there? I doubt I could condense all of my interests and hobbies into 500 words, much less two lines. Not to mention some of the more interesting ones are controversial. I know better than to mention shooting, gunsmithing, aviation, locks, motorcyles, or brewing if I can help it since they have possible bad connotations. Ugh. I just don't translate well onto paper.

3 Comments:

  • As my father says "Put it all down anyway" and he reminds me that my sister's uncle (Her mother's relation, not one of mine) once got a job as an editor at the NY Times because he could play the organ. You never know what will attract or turn off an employer; it is presumptuous to think you do.

    By Blogger TheAmber, at 1:32 PM  

  • no, no, no. NEVER be yourself in the professional world. not that i have actually tried this not-being-myself-ness in a fantasyland of adulthood. maybe one day i'll get the opportunity to not be myself and try to keep up the bullshit until i get transferred or whatev. maybe.
    anyway, my suggestions, however, are "dinner parties, high society, and child rearing".

    By Blogger Dave F., at 6:23 AM  

  • You could aquire a hobby for the resume/application space.

    Or, better, keep this up and make the hobbies & interests line of applications and resumes your hobby.

    - Daniel Silliman

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home