I ate my wafer...

2/22/2005

I utterly and completely hate that two line "Hobbies" or "Interests" space on applications and resumes, be it for jobs, internships, clerkships, schools, etc. What the hell am I supposed to put there? I doubt I could condense all of my interests and hobbies into 500 words, much less two lines. Not to mention some of the more interesting ones are controversial. I know better than to mention shooting, gunsmithing, aviation, locks, motorcyles, or brewing if I can help it since they have possible bad connotations. Ugh. I just don't translate well onto paper.

4 Comments:

  • As my father says "Put it all down anyway" and he reminds me that my sister's uncle (Her mother's relation, not one of mine) once got a job as an editor at the NY Times because he could play the organ. You never know what will attract or turn off an employer; it is presumptuous to think you do.

    By Blogger TheAmber, at 1:32 PM  

  • the more crazy shit you can put in there the better (other than like, I don't know, nuclear arms trafficking) ... gotta make yourself stand out man... "tennis, piano and French" look pretty fucking lame next to "locksmithing, beer brewing, and perpetual motion research"

    or something.

    By Blogger Krupa, at 2:24 PM  

  • no, no, no. NEVER be yourself in the professional world. not that i have actually tried this not-being-myself-ness in a fantasyland of adulthood. maybe one day i'll get the opportunity to not be myself and try to keep up the bullshit until i get transferred or whatev. maybe.
    anyway, my suggestions, however, are "dinner parties, high society, and child rearing".

    By Blogger Dave, at 6:23 AM  

  • You could aquire a hobby for the resume/application space.

    Or, better, keep this up and make the hobbies & interests line of applications and resumes your hobby.

    - Daniel Silliman

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home