I ate my wafer...

10/14/2004

Knob Creek


It was a a very fun short road trip, with everything running smoothly. Jim and Scott make excellent traveling companions. Lee provided comfortable, non-floor places to sleep, and cooked us several excellent meals. His parents were nice, and his sister managed to spend an entire day listening to us with no apparent ill effects, and her cow didn't hurt Scott.


Now, about the machine gun shoot. The night shooting is definitely fun to watch, between the large quantity of tracers, flamethrowers, exploding barrels of Napalm, and burning cars. I can't think of any other place that I've seen old cars and school buses ripped apart by 100+ belt fed machine guns. But, despite all of the fun pyrotechnics to watch, the gun show part of Knob Creek was even more interesting to me. The amount of parts, and consequentially potential projects was nearly overwhelming. It is the sort of place where I stumble around in a daze trying to simultaneously figure out if I could build a semi-auto MG-34 in 7.62x39mm that uses RPD belts, a Lewis gun in 7.62x54R, or a miniaturized Hotchkiss revolving cannon in .17 rimfire. In other words, I had a good time.


5 Comments:

  • Why would you want the MG-34 in 7.62x39? Actually, I believe the yugoslavians have a MG-42 in 7.62x39.

    I remember when 7.62 was super cheap some guy converted his 1919 to it, now days everyone is going for 8mm mauser.

    By Blogger Finite, at 7:05 PM  

  • Why do I do anything=it amused me at the time.

    Mg-34 belts aren't real cheap, and did you see the prices on pre-belted RPG ammo? I think the Yugo's used ZB30's and MG-42's in 7.92x57, but I've never seen a reference to a 7.62x39 version. According to my edition of Smith's Small Arms of the World (It isn't always right, but a good start), the Yugo's built 8mm mg-42's, called Model 53's until they switched to soviet stuff.

    The Finns converted some (read ~100) MG-42's to 7.62x54R which is a really wild conversion to do...and I want to know how they worked the feed...for another possible project.

    7.62x62 is still the cheapest non-corrosive machine gun ammunition, as far as I know.

    By Blogger Bob, at 7:35 PM  

  • Ugh, I meant RPD, not RPG...though a weapon that shot RPG-7 rounds out of a belt would be impressive.

    By Blogger Bob, at 7:37 PM  

  • YEAH! Thank you thank you Thank you Bob!

    By Blogger TheAmber, at 10:56 AM  

  • By Blogger ebru, at 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home