I ate my wafer...

9/26/2004

Zippo Lighters

Is there a more distinctive sound that a Zippo lighter opening? I doubt it. In anycase, I've always had a fondness for Zippos, not becuase they work better than butane lighters in the cold, or burn hotter (enough to light magnesium ribbon, but that's another story, or any other practical reason. They simply appeal to me the same way that radial engines, Indian motorcycles, and certain combinations of nitre blued steel and nice walnut do.

So, my little emotional attachment to Zippo lighters took a turn for the worse last May when I left mine on top of my car, then without thinking, allowed Will Hill to drive it across Hillsdale. Buying a new Zippo out has been an oddly time consuming process with the 400+ choices availible, and I'm still not certain that I go it right. In anycase, my new lighter sh0uld arrive sometime next week, and I'll see if a slim-line, metallic blue model can replace the lost 1940's brushed chrome model.

2 Comments:

  • Bletch. We (*as in Me) don't like the new one.

    By Blogger TheAmber, at 4:49 PM  

  • Yeah...don't rub it in...I may be buying another chrome one.

    By Blogger Bob, at 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home