I ate my wafer...

4/20/2004

Human Rights Watch: The good and the stupid. Part II
Second the good:

Prison Rape.

Since I like to keep "The Wafer" G-rated, I'm not going into details here, follow the links if you want to.

I believe that many of our correction institutions take inadequate precautions against prisoner on prisoner and officer on prisoner sexual assault. As much as it makes an easy joke, Prison rape carries pretty high societal costs. Between the public health problem, and the actually suffering of the inmates, it is a significant problem.


Since I'm a bleeding heart liberal about this, my solution would be, in part to aggressively decriminalize the softer drugs to free up prison space and money. Holding prison officials more accountable shouldn't be that difficult either.
It is time to stop sentencing convicts to 300 days in jail + 5 rapes!