I ate my wafer...

1/25/2004

The One Watch.
In the last six months, I have unintentionally destroyed four wristwatches ( for a total of six in the last year). The first one was an attractive stainless steel timex, with the handy Indiglo feature. I think I had owned it for about 2 years before exposure to one or another of several organic solvents melted the glue that holds the crystal in place, and caused an electrical short in the Indiglo circuit. Although the watch still functioned, if the Indiglo feature was used for several seconds, the battery would be worn out in a matter of hours. So, I moved on to a Russian mechanical watch, no sissy electronic bits to break, but unfortunately, the band construction was inferior and it dropped off to meet an untimely demise under the wheels of my Mom’s Taurus . About this point, I switched to cheap walmart/meijer watches; the first of which was a very nice looking $30 “Elgin” which lasted less than a week. I probably should have returned it, but the warrantee probably didn’t cover situations where the watch would be exposed to the repeated shock of cold chiseling rivet for 6 hours. The next watch, a $6.99 model promptly disintegrated its band, but I replaced it (with a $10 band), and it survived for nearly three months before the seals failed and water killed the electronic bits. So…I bought another Timex.

Often, if I am slightly too warm while sleeping, I will have interesting and detailed dreams. Last night, I dreamt that I was trying to convince Sauron to forge an indestructible watch…